Friday, March 8, 2019

Getting Out of God’s Way






Can you solve the mysteries of God? Can you discover everything about the Almighty?” Job 11:7 NLT

One of the hardest lessons I’ve had to learn as a believer is to remember that God is in control. I am embarrassed when I realize how often I forget that I am not God. I know that I should leave my worries and overwhelm at the cross.

As a caregiver, I am especially likely to worry and hover. What will the lab results show? Is he sleeping enough? How many grams of sugar are in the meal? Is that a heart failure cough or a hay fever cough?

So many times I have prayed, “Father, I know You’ve got this” and a few seconds later, “but I’d better take it back in case You’re too busy!”

How about you? Do you find yourself taking up what you left at His feet, “just in case?” Let’s look at God’s word for help.

Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me Isaiah” 46:9 ESV

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.” John 1:3 ESV

As the only Uncreated One, God is unique in His eternal wisdom, perspective and power. We already completely depend on Him. When we acknowledge our dependence, we step aside and let Him work in our lives without our interference.

yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.” 1 Cor 8:6 NASB

We are created by God and exist for God, for His purpose. When we surrender to His power and purpose, we acknowledge that He alone is God. We cannot know the things He knows. It is probably best that we cannot know these things. But we know that His purpose has our best interests in mind.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

There’s a peace that comes when we humble ourselves and remember that God existed before the world and before its people. We don’t have to know all these because we can’t. Only God can do that. Jesus reminds us of His eternal nature:

Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.’” John 8:58 NASB.

The good news is, we have a God of hope. A God who not only is in control, but who sent His Son as our Savior.

Waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.” Titus 2:13 ESV

In this verse from Titus, the Greek word for hope also means “trust” and “expectation.” And let’s face it — trust is a tricky word here on earth. But we’re talking about a different kind of trust and hope. This is not a hope that says, “gee, wouldn’t it be nice if…” This is a hope that we can rely on, that only God provides.

And when I remember this hope, I remember why God is God alone. I remember why it’s a good idea to leave my worries and sleepless nights in His hands.

I pray that as you end your week, you will find rest as God takes your burdens as only He can.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, dear Judith, what a lesson on God's Love. You did not leave anything out, even a Greek translation of words particular. I discovered so much wisdom with this post and felt the Holy Spirit working in me as I read. A wonderful experience, I must say. Thank you for the courage to stand up and speak. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad that you enjoyed digging deep into God’s word with me! It’s fun and enriching to do word studies. Have a blessed weekend!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for these powerful thoughts! We definitely need these reminders daily that God is God all by Himsel--and does not need our help! Blessings to you as you continue to trust him! :) Visiting from #BVN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christin, thank you for the kind words! I love the fact that faith grows stronger when we share it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Good to see you here, Lupe. Have a blessed day and weekend!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your post and I am sharing in on Twitter, Judith!

    ReplyDelete