Thursday, March 14, 2019

Walking In the “Not Yet”


To me, mid-March is a perfect times for Lent. Just as we walk through the wilderness with Jesus, we walk through the drab, brown and gray remains of winter. We know that the resurrection is coming, and we know that soon it will be time to break ground and plant seeds. We rejoice that it will be here soon, but we ache because we can’t see it today.



So what do we do as we walk through the “not yet?” I have wondered that very thing in recent mornings, as I walk our dog. I search for those first splashes of color among last November’s dried leaves and brown grass.



Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. The farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains.” James 5:7 (NASB)

Waiting — derived from the Greek word meaning “expectation” — is a common theme in the Bible as it is in life. I’ve seen spring every year before this year, yet something in me will not rest until I see that flower bud poking through the ground. Like the Psalmist says:

I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.” Psalm 139:5 (NASB)

Oh, how he waits. The repetition of the word “wait” in this verse highlights the intensity of this longing and expectation. Look at another translation of the same verse:

I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.” Psalm 139:5 (NIV)

With his whole being, he waits. We do the same. Will my health recover? Will my loved one recover from addiction? Will I get that job? Will someone love me? Our whole being waits.

And hopes!



You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.” Psalm 145:16 (NIV)

“And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.” Romans 8:23 (ESV).

We know we can rely on Him. We anticipate that morning of resurrection. We go deeper into our faith as our “soul does wait.” And just as those first crocuses surprise us every spring, we will jump for joy at the news that “He is risen!” (Matthew 28:6, KJV)






6 comments:

  1. Wonderful news you have written here. Thank you for letting us come to realize there is always tomorrow and always a spring. God is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed good news...the best! Thank you so much for reading and commenting, John. Love you!

      Delete
  2. LOVE!!! I too love seeing the first signs that spring is coming! And so is Jesus! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the post, Liz. Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  3. Yes, we are always so eager for Spring, yet in the wait we find a deeper connection with Jesus if only we look for it. Thanks Judith!

    ReplyDelete