Wednesday, April 22, 2020

He Has Set My Feet in a Spacious Place




Call it what you will: “shelter in place,” “lockdown,” “stay at home,” “self-quarantine.” Our individual worlds have become smaller due to a microscopic but deadly enemy. Shopping trips have dwindled to nervous visits to the grocery store, complete with face masks and social distancing. Hugs between friends are forbidden. Even medical appointments are postponed as hospitals and clinics are overwhelmed with COVID-19 concerns. We wonder, is there any way out?

I’ve been participating in a Bible-in-a-year study this year, and was struck by one of today’s readings, Psalm 31. At first, the Psalm impressed me as a fine example of King David’s laments. But I didn’t really identify with it on a personal level, since I am not persecuted or running for my life. 

Or am I? After reading the Psalm several times, one verse jumped out:

“You have not given me into the hands of the enemy but have set my feet in a spacious place.” Psalm 31:8 (NIV) 

I took another look at the word “enemy,” and thought of the coronavirus. But then I looked looked inward. Aren’t there enemies that attack us from within? Fear, boredom, resentment and greed can devour us from the inside out. Don’t we need God to deliver us from these enemies, too? 

“A spacious place.” Now more than ever, we crave space to travel freely. We’d love to browse through our favorite bookstore or eat in our favorite restaurant. Yet there’s also too much space between us, as visits with friends and colleagues are relegated to FaceTime and Zoom. But God can draw hearts closer in spite of social distancing, and give us a broader perspective while we’re sheltering in place.

I love this translation, too:

“You have not handed me over to my enemies but have set me in a safe place.” (NLT)

Whether it’s more space or less space, we look to God for a safe place — a place that transcends circumstances. We feel less isolated and resentful. We begin to notice opportunities for compassion for others as well as ourselves. 

“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3 (NIV)

“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7 (NIV)

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” Psalm 23:6 (ESV)

There’s no getting around it: we still dream of get-togethers with loved ones, birthday parties for kids. We long for the day when we won’t have to say, “stay safe!” In the meantime, however, God enlarges our vision and reworks our plans. Knowing that we can rely on God’s goodness and mercy, we find respite in that safe and spacious place within. 




No comments:

Post a Comment