Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Follow Him




When I was growing up, I would hear other kids talking about the things they planned to give up for Lent.  Chocolate invariably topped many lists, which also included TV, movies, and other fun things. I did not really understand what Lent was at the time, so for years I pictured it a dreary time of doing without.

But what if we focus on the treasures that we receive during this 40-day season? Now that I have had time to mature in my faith, I love the Lenten season as a time of closeness with Jesus. A time to press in and walk with Him.

The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, “Follow me.” John 1:43 (NIV)



In our garden, green shoots push through dead and decaying leaves, stems and black walnut shells left by feasting squirrels. Buds appear on the plum and apple trees. Like our 40-day walk with Jesus in the desert, this gray, damp, cold time of year brings beauty and hope if we look closely enough.

Come,” he replied, “and you will see.” John 1:39 (NIV)



We can recognize His presence more often during Lent, as we commit to deeper prayer time and closer study of God’s word. We push through the remains of a barren season, grateful for patches of green.

So this is day one of a yearly journey that many will choose. I pray that your week is going well with unexpected blessings.



2 comments:

  1. A beautiful post Judith on our Lenten season and the beauty of Bride and Groom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John! Love this season of drawing close to Him.

      Delete